About LundLund is an old university town in the very south of Sweden. This page contains information on how to find us and on accommodation. General information about Lund is supplied by the tourist office.
The Centre for Mathematical Sciences is a department of Lund University, in southern Sweden, Skåne (Scania), close to Denmark. The Centre is located in the building for mathematical sciences (or Mathematicum, marked with an F) at Lunds tekniska högskola / Lunds universitet (Lund Institute of Technology / Lund University), 1-2 km northeast of the center of Lund, at the intersection of Tornavägen and Sölvegatan, see the University campus map (200 kB pdf), and the map of the LTH campus, where the building is marked "MH".
There are two airports close to Lund: one is Malmö (Sturup) Airport located 30 km south-east of Lund. The other one is Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup) in Denmark about 25 km south-west of Lund. Note that some travel agencies does not know that Lund is very close to Denmark and therefore they sometimes try to book you on to a flight to Gothenburg (3-4 hours away) or even Stockholm (5-7 hours away).Copenhagen Airport, Kastrup. As you will see from the air, the airport is next to the bridge to Sweden. From Copenhagen Airport trains across the bridge to Sweden (Öresundstågen) leave from platform 1 every 20 minutes (at 1:00-5:00 at night once an hour) to Malmö C. Some of the trains continue to Lund C, but it might be that you have to change train in Malmö (purple commutor trains). From the airport to Lund, the travel time is about one hour. A one-way ticket (ask for a ticket to Lund) is approximately 80 DKK or 100 SEK (~11 EUR) and are sold at the ticket counters before going down the conveyer belt down to the trains. Most credit cards are also accepted. For an additional fee of 50 SEK, you can by the ticket on the train. Sturup has frequent connections with Stockholm (in case you transfer from there), Ryanair flyes to London (Stansted), but otherwise there are few international flights. From the airport, there is a bus ( Flygbussarna) to the centre of Lund (approximately twice an hour). A one-way ticket, bought on the bus, is 90 SEK (~10 EUR). A 30 minutes taxi ride into Lund is about 250 SEK (~27 EUR), but be sure to ask for the price before you take the taxi. There are unfortunately some non-serious drivers. Most taxis accepts credit cards (sometimes for a minor additional fee).
Get to your hotel
Lund is a small city and almost everything is within walkable distance. To get to your hotel see the map below or catch a taxi outside the central station. Don't hesitate to ask someone in the street. Almost everyone knows English.
Get to the Centre for Mathematical Sciences
There are a few ways of to get from the train station (Lund C) to the department: See map below, and the map of the LTH campus (where the building is marked "MH") for details.
Map: (pdf, 260kb)
AccommodationSome hotel suggestions:
- Hotel Sparta, (Note: difficult to navigate this page!) Tunav. 39, phone: +4646191600, fax: +4646128525, from which you reach the Mathematics building in a 5 minutes walk. See map above.
- University Guest House, phone: +46462223033, fax: 046462224720, is located in the same building as Hotel Sparta, and the rooms are similar, but only for university guests. It has self service and rates are low.
- Hotell Gräddhyllan, phone: +4646157230, Bytaregatan/Knut den Stores gata, has 4 cosy rooms close to the railway station. Very reasonablwe rates.
- Hotell Oskar, Bytaregatan 3, phone: +4646188085, in the centre of Lund. New hotel in an old house.
- Concordia Hotel, Stålbrog. 1, phone +4646135050, fax +4646137422, in the centre of Lund. Friendly hotel - our guests ofte stay there, higher rates than Gräddhyllan and Ahlström.
- Hotell Ahlström, Skomakaregatan 3, phone: +46462110174, is an old hotel, well kept, with reasonable rates.
- The Youth Hostel The Train close to Lund Central Station offers cheap compartments on board an old train (see map above).
- The Ibis Lund hotel is also rather cheap but in the opposite end of town; not within walking distance; but there are buses!